This evening, the Prime Minister announced a set of measures that are unprecedented and their implications are very significant.
The critical thing we must do is to stop the disease spreading between households.
This is why the Prime Minister announced that people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- One form of exercise a day- for example a run, walk, or cycle- alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
These are the only reasons you should leave your home.
If you do not follow the rules, the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.
To ensure compliance with the Government’s instructions to stay at home, the following will immediately happen:
- Close all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship;
- We will stop all gatherings of more than two people in public- excluding people you live with;
- And we will stop all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals.
Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed.