There are Two Gallery Images. The First is the Former HCA Office (left hand building) at 45 East Street (Photo Credit: Scarlett Jeens). The Second is the Former HCA Office at (then) 30 West Street (Photo Credit: Jeremy Knight Horsham Museum)
The Horsham Conservative Association has been based in Gough House in Madeira Avenue since the late 1980s. It is believed that Gough House (originally called Madeira House) was originally built as a chapel and subsequently turned into a laundry before conversion to offices several decades ago.
Prior to that, we were based in offices at 45 East Street but had to move when the Albion Way road development around Horsham town centre was constructed.
The name of our building is in honour of a previous Member of Parliament for Horsham, Colonel Charles Frederick Howard Gough MC TD, who was the MP between 1951 and 1964. Colonel Frederick Gough also served as President of the Horsham Conservative Association between 1964 and 1970.
Before occupying the East Street offices, between 1911 and 1914 Horsham Conservatives were based at what is now 29 West Street in the building now occupied by Tapi Carpets. The picture of this premises shown above was taken around 1914.
The previous Chairmen of the Horsham Conservative Association are listed below;
2019 to Present - Mr Adrian M Lee
2016 to 2019 - Mrs Tricia Youtan
2012 to 2016 - Mr Brad Watson OBE
2009 to 2012 - Mr Christian Mitchell
2004 to 2009 - Mrs Alison Donnithorne-Tait
2001 to 2004 - Mr Roger Edworthy
1997 to 2001 - Mrs Betty Rodrigues OBE
1994 to 1997 - Mr Brad Watson OBE
1991 to 1994 - Mr Peter Catchpole
1989 to 1991 - Mrs Joy Riley
1985 to 1989 - Mrs Olga Rowe
1982 to 1985 - Mr Roger Taylor
1979 to 1982 - Mr David Rodrigues
1975 to 1979 - Mrs Rosemary Towney
1972 to 1975 - Mrs Aileen Buckle
(Kind thanks to Mrs Betty Rodrigues and Mr Christian Mitchell who helped in providing some of the history recorded here).